Thursday 9 August 2018

Shetland Mainland Watershed Walk Day 8



From Campsite to Fethaland
03/07/2018



Got a camp site visitor this morning


The morning started bright but sea fog quickly rolled in


By the time I broke camp visibility was only about 20 - 30 M




Photos became a waste of time and I had to watch my feet so that I didn't step on any nests




I was able to navigate the watershed using my ViewRanger App on my phone. I followed the route that I had mapped when I plotted it earlier in the year



Picked up some discarded litter on route.


Through the mist I spy the Trig point on top of the Beorgs of Skelberry 196M (198M)



I then pass a cairn and head down hill to the NE to the marsh



Looking back up at the Beorgs of Skelberry



I then head on past Hadd towards the last cottage before the Uyea road




I pass to the south side of the cottage and head towards the school




Looking back at the cottage and Shetland Ponies


Through the Marsh and Bog Cotton behind the School



And on to the interesting information board







  Up the road, past the aeroplane and into the mist towards Muckle ward 100M.


Through thick mist all I can see are some meadow flowers









Through another marsh and past the cottage at the Loch of Houllsquey then up to Trig point at Lanchestoo 130M




Down hill and past Upper Loch of Setter then on to Murchin and cross to Crogans


At the Rigg of Breibister I meet a Bunxie chick




Follow the watershed on towards Fethaland







Head down to the ruins of the old fishing station and past the Neolithic round house




looking back as I follow the cliffs. Beware these are some of Shetlands most "rotten" Cliff edges.


On to the unmanned light house




And on to the most northerly point









The end looking out over the Stuack towards the Ramna Stacks


Days total from campsite to Point of Fethaland.
Mileage 12.42Miles
Ascent 596M
Descent 731M


After completion I walk back to the road to meet my son Liam who has come to pick me up. I take a few last photos




I meet Liam on the road near the school.
Mileage 3.8M
Ascent 228M
Descent 223M


2 comments:

  1. Weel done Neil. A great effort, a great story and lots of great photograhs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Neil, I'll hopefully do it myself before too long. Thansk for getting in touch. Kevin

    ReplyDelete